Every year many of us make promises to ourselves to get in shape. Whether it is starting a new diet, losing weight, or trying to get more active, the promise of a better diet and effective exercise routine sometimes does not give us the results as fast as we want. It is human nature to buy into quick-fix fad diets when you desire rapid results. When we start making changes to our daily routine by exercising and eating healthier we want to be rewarded with visible change immediately. Your desire to get fit will begin to pay off as you begin to see transforming your body and routine isn’t an overnight process. Getting fit takes patience, hard work, dedication, and consistency. You have probably tried weight loss plans, weird diet fads, questionable supplements, the list goes on. These are simply a quick fix and will never lead to long-lasting weight loss unless you change your diet and start exercising. So, NO, there is not a quick fix. If there were, we'd all be doing it!
The key is to be nice to yourself and take a course of action that will yield long-term results. That means no fad diets or things that are restrictive (keto, fasting, etc.) Why, because those don’t tend to work for life so why bother? Fad diets are deceiving because you usually experience a quick water weight loss, which on the scale looks great, but is then followed by weight gain, which can be a let down to deter you from staying motivated.
As a pre and postnatal exercise specialist, I have seen and experienced a much happier success personally and with clients by eating a balanced diet in moderation and incorporating an all-round workout routine that encompasses upper body, lower body, core, cardio, and strength training. It might take longer but you’ll be able to enjoy your life (eat out, have a higher carb day, etc) and make lasting changes. Here are my six tips for losing weight without the fad diets:
1. Focus on Nutrition. You can’t out-train a bad diet, no matter what you try. I can’t stop snacking on junk food (processed sugar products) if it’s in my house, so I don’t buy it anymore.
2. Eat lean protein, healthy fats and complex carbs with every meal. Eating good protein helps make you feel full. By eating this well-rounded diet you will also notice your ability to eat in moderation.
3. Avoid excess calories from unhealthy drinks like soft drinks and alcohol.
4. Drink lots of water. I try to drink at least 64 oz or more of water per day (or half my weight in ounces).
5. Give yourself grace during this process. Remember, slow and steady wins the race. I have lost 17 pounds in 7 months after giving birth and exclusively breastfeeding so I know it’s possible.
6. Exercise. Building muscle will increase your BMR and ultimately burn more calories at rest compared to endless cardio workouts.
At aquaBelly®, we offer a range of motion exercises including yoga, pilates, ballet, cardio, hip hop dance, weight training and aerobic exercise giving you a well-balanced, full-body fitness class.
Comments are closed.
aquaBelly® Fitness Blog
From workouts and healthy meals, fitness tips and fashion, to baby love—I'm excited about keeping my clients informed about their health, fitness and life on Lake Lanier! I am a certified pre and post natal fitness specialist, entrepreneur, wife and mother!