1 tablespoon organic unsalted butter
1 medium organic onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds organic yellow summer squash, roughly chopped
1 large organic baking potato, peeled and cut into cubes
3 1/2 cups organic chicken
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
Fresh herbs, finely chopped, for garnish (scallions, chives, rosemary, or basil)
- Melt butter in a Dutch over over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, squash; cook, stirring often, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of the organic chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Place potato in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. (Most microwaves have a setting for baked potatoes…I usually just use this setting).
- Add potato to your pot of sautéed squash.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until all the vegetables are soft; 10-15 minutes.
- Let cooked vegetables cool a little before transferring to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Transfer back to your Dutch oven over medium-low heat.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup broth; while stirring, slowly pour in buttermilk.
- Heat until warm, about 5 minutes.
Place meal-ready portion sized amounts into temporary containers and freeze. Once frozen, slip the frozen blocks of food out and repackage in Food Saver Vacuum Sealer Bags (cut to size if needed). When ready to serve, thaw in the refrigerator and then either pour into a pot and reheat on medium-low until hot and bubbly or reboil in the bag.